GBC would like to invite qualified, enthusiastic and committed individuals to apply for the following career opportunity:
Underwriter (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
Reporting to the Director of Alternative Lending, the Underwriter will be responsible for leading the underwriting of residential and commercial properties to drive portfolio growth for Graysbrook Capital through operational and service excellence. Primary accountabilities include; underwriting applications submitted by key industry partners, including Mortgage Brokers; determining credit worthiness of applicants based on lending criteria, managing exceptions, pricing; and building and retaining a strong relationships with key referral points, including brokers, banking institutions, legal and accounting firms, contractors and developers.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Evaluation and structure of mortgage applications according to internal lending criteria.
- Managing portfolio risk by exercising sound credit decisions within authorized criteria, and issuing mortgage commitments with appropriate conditions.
- Following up on outstanding documentation to satisfy commitment and close transactions on a timely basis.
- Maintain current knowledge of competitors, industry trends, and other alternative lenders to ensure internal lending criteria remains current.
- Act as a general ambassador for the organization and support the Business Development Manager through maintaining an up-to-date pipeline.
- Attend business development activities and trade shows as required.
- Work closely with the Business Development Manager and Vice President of Member Services at CUA.
- Adhere to company policies and procedures to ensure compliance and risk controls are in place.
- Implement risk mitigation actions or escalate as required.
As the ideal candidate you will possess a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on business, with a minimum of five years of relevant underwriting experience and two years’ experience in alternative lending, including working directly with a financing organization; or an equivalent combination of training and experience in a previous underwriting role. You will leverage your strong communication and analytical skills to prioritize, multitask, identify opportunities for improvement and manage time effectively to consistently deliver exceptional and timely customer service. Knowledge of residential mortgage lending is essential, and knowledge of commercial mortgage lending, negotiation, and sales skills would be considered as an asset.
Graysbrook Capital are offering a competitive total compensation package, combined with strong training and development, organic growth opportunities, a hybrid work environment, a collaborative team to work with, and a strong client base to support and grow.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a reputable, dynamic, and fast-growing, community-oriented firm with a true commitment to service excellence and an established network of over 400 brokers across the Atlantic and Ontario Regions.
Graysbrook Capital and Venor strives to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and recognizes the value that diversity brings. Applications from all qualified candidates, including those who identify as racially visible, indigenous, women in underrepresented roles, persons with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know.
Method of Applying:
Interested candidates are asked to please forward their resumes to James Willies or Dan McDonald at James@venor.ca or email@example.com